- BOB Revolution Flex Jogging Stroller, Black
- OUR PARTNER
- Easy 2-Step Fold
State-of-the-Art Adjustable Suspension System
Adjustable Padded Handlebar
- Large and bulky
No cup holders
Accessories not included
- BOTTOM LINE
- BOB Revolution Flex Jogging Stroller it’s great for running on uneven terrain and off-road strolls. Wooden walls, beaches, and trails are not compatible with this stroller. This jogging stroller is one of the most well-built, high quality units available on the market.
- Chicco TRE Performance Jogging Stroller, Surge
- OUR PARTNER
- Handbrake and parking brake conveniently located at handlebar
Adjustable suspension system
- Only compatible with Chicco KeyFit car seats
Storage basket isn’t very roomy
- BOTTOM LINE
- Chicco TRE Performance Jogging Stroller it’s convertible and has many versatile features - it’s one of the few jogging strollers that has a removable main seat that converts into a car seat carrier. It is a high-quality, durable jogging stroller with top-of-the-line features and functions, we think is an obvious choice!.
- Thule Urban Glide - Jogging Stroller
- OUR PARTNER
- Swivel front wheel for easy maneuverability, locks into place for jogging
Pads are water repellant and removable for washing.
Very light - one-handed compact fold
- No cup holder or compartment on handbar
The sides of the stroller are a little narrow.
Accessories are sold separately
- BOTTOM LINE
- The Thule Urban Glide is one of the best strollers available today. It can handle any rough terrain and can be used for every day, non-jogging purposes too. This stroller has almost everything you’d ever need in a jogger stroller. It’s worth every penny.
- JOOVY Zoom 360 Ultralight, Charcoal
- OUR PARTNER
- Very deep recline - high riding seat
Canopy is large with a large plastic viewing window
Light and easy to fold
- Non-Adjustable Handle Bar
No hand brake
- BOTTOM LINE
- JOOVY Zoom 360 Ultralight is one of the most popular, highly-rated jogging strollers right now. Lots of customers praise the stroller for good quality of the materials and included accessories. It also provides amazing steering, and a smooth ride. Definitely a great choice!
- Schwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger
- OUR PARTNER
- PROSDual trigger folding mechanism offers uncompromised safety
Child tray with dual cup holders & molded parent tray
Canopy mounted speakers accepts most MP3 playersCONSBulky
Lack of pocket compartments
HeavyBOTTOM LINESchwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger is one of the most talked about baby strollers in the market these days. The stroller is very well designed and constructed. The springs and inflatable tires make for a very shock-absorbent ride for the toddler. It's a great jogging stroller, we highly recommended it.
- Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller, Bubble Gum
- OUR PARTNER
- Includes parent console and child snack tray
Super comfortable to seat and move
Light Weight (21.8 pounds)
- The tires make noises on tough roads
Seat is lacking side padding
The basket is not very big
- BOTTOM LINE
- Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller is one of the most sellers in jogging stroller category this year. For hundreds of dollars less, this jogger is not far behind the premium brands. Is a smart choice for parents who want versatility, convenience, reliability, and comfort rolled into one in the most practical and economical way there is.
How You Can Choose the Best Jogging Stroller
The team that we have here has been hard at work. We tested out several of the top jogging strollers in the market right now for a few months. The extensive testing helped us learn quite a lot about what makes certain strollers better than others. It also helped us determine what features make a stroller the best jogging machine. The article you are going to read is a culmination of our observations and hard work. This will help you make the best buying decision for your child and family.
Let’s get started, shall we?
Why Purchase a Jogging Stroller?
When mothers go through 9 or more months of pregnancy, they really want to start exercising or going out more. When you invest in a baby stroller, it is one of the first major investments you make for the well being of your baby. The thing is, it is an equally important investment for your health and mental well-being. It is the one form of exercise which you and your baby are a part of together. We’re talking about jogging strollers. Once your baby has developed muscles strong enough to give them sufficient neck and core support, this is the best thing you can get. A lot of babies love the thrill of jogging with their parents. At the same time, the parents find it to be a cheap way of getting back into an exercising routine.
The details that you will get as you continue reading will give you proper guidance. You will learn about the most important features on jogging strollers which will help you make the best decision about which stroller is the best for you and your family.
But First a Bit of Precaution to Note…
Using a jogging stroller to run with your baby or biking with your child in a bike trailer can be physically stressful for the baby. The exertions that the experience of jogging can bring will be harmful for your baby, if the child is too young.
You need to make sure that you have the pediatrician’s approval before you go on such activities with the baby. Make sure that the child has good muscle strength in the neck and the body, in order to bear the exertions, before you even buy one of these.
When your baby is young, you must avoid going jogging with your baby or even riding a bike with the baby. That’s because all the jostling can be very stressful on such a small body. Typically at around 8 months old, babies develop the muscle strength which allows them to participate in such activities.
Other than that, the recommendation is to run on smooth surfaces, when the baby is 8 to 12 months old. Once the child is at least a year or older, you can consider jogging on rougher terrain. Of course, this should be done under the condition that the baby is safely secured, using a 5-point harness on the jogging stroller.
How Are Jogging Strollers Different?
Now that we have put that out of the way, we will tell you about jogging strollers. You should NEVER use traditional strollers for jogging with your baby. They are not designed for that purpose. They lack the features which will be necessary to minimize the shock which babies experience during jogging. It’s impossible to avoid all the bumps on the roads or paved sidewalks. Even the smoothest of surfaces have imperfections in them. The slightest bump can give jarring shocks to the baby in a traditional stroller.
There are several features on jogging strollers, which make them ideal for jogging. They’re designed to reduce the impacts of the surface while moving at high speeds.
Here’s a look at the design features.
- Excellent Suspension System: Jogging-style strollers come with a different kind of suspension. The suspension systems are designed to reduce the amount of shock that the baby will experience. Most of the jogging strollers have real suspension. The seat is also made in a sling style to further reduce the shock of sudden movements.
- Larger Tires: The tires on jogging strollers are much larger than those on traditional strollers. In fact, they are the largest among all kinds of strollers. They’re typically around 16 inches or more in diameter at the back and 12 inches on the front. The larger size of the tires helps them roll over the obstacles easily and the bumps have less impact on the baby. Bigger wheels also mean lower rolling resistance on the tires which makes running a whole lot easier for the parent. Oh, and the fact that these larger tires are made of rubber and filled with air makes it all the more smoother for both parent and baby. Traditional strollers come with small plastic tires. They are not good for jogging. They can’t take the stress.
- Fixed Front Wheel: If you try to jog with the traditional stroller or even if you have a jogging stroller with the front wheel unlocked, then boy oh boy are you in for it. One of or both the front wheels will start wobbling. This results in very strong vibrations in the stroller. It is an understatement to say that this will become uncomfortable for you and especially for the baby. The wobbling can even cause the tire to make an abrupt turn and the stroller to fall. Jogging strollers are designed to provide the ability to completely lock the front wheels. There are also those which offer adjustable front wheels which provide added stability to the stroller while jogging.
- Space between the Wheels: Jogging strollers get designed in a way that the front wheels are a fair distance ahead of the baby. That keeps it away from the center of gravity in a baby’s body. The result of this is the ability for the front wheel to bounce up and down when a bump comes up, without transferring a lot of force to the baby’s body. The increased distance makes the jogging a lot more shock proof for the baby.
There are quite a few jogging strollers which are considered multi-purpose strollers. That is because they can perform the functions of the traditional stroller while also being able to be used as a jogging stroller. We tested out strollers, based on their ability to be used as jogging strollers. Their running ability was the main concern of our observation but a lot of parents use jogging strollers for everyday use as well. This is why we considered a lot more metrics when we were scoring the multiple jogging strollers. This is also going to help you a lot when considering the purchase of a jogging stroller. While the higher points go for those strollers you can run with, there are points for those you can run your errands with as well.
Some Basic Features to Look At
Here is an overview of some of the basic features that you can typically see in a jogging stroller:
- Jogging strollers come with three wheels. They are made of rubber and filled with air. This means they provide a much smoother experience of strolling. That also means you need to keep checking the pressure in the tires. You will also need a pump if the tires go flat.
- Parking brakes are also one of the most basic features in a jogging stroller. It is important that you engage the parking brake whenever you have parked the stroller. You should try to move it back and forth to make sure that the brake has been engaged completely.
- The canopy on the jogging stroller is going to help your child stay safe from the harmful rays of the sun and any headwinds while moving at fast speeds. The bigger the size of the canopy, the more you can adjust it properly.
- Safety straps which have one end attached to the stroller and the other around your waist are also a basic feature in jogging strollers. The strap keeps the stroller from rolling away with your child. It can be one of the most crucial safety features unique to the requirements of a jogging stroller. This is something you must use.
- Jogging strollers also come with reclining seats, so that you can adjust the angle for the baby. It will help the baby stay more comfortable.
- Peek-a-boo windows are usually there on jogging strollers in the canopy. They help you keep an eye on your child while you’re jogging.
- You will need to store and carry the baby’s necessities along with your own while you’re out jogging. Jogging strollers also come with storage baskets which are usually under the seat. The low center of gravity on the storage area helps to keep the stroller stable at high speeds. Of course, it goes without saying that heavy objects shouldn’t be kept inside the storage area. That can cause imbalance.
- Folding mechanisms are usually very easy to operate in strollers generally. You have to keep in mind that jogging strollers are not at all small in size. While the wheels can be taken off to make storage easier, the chances are that it will still take up a lot of space in the trunk of the car.
- That also brings us to another feature common in jogging strollers. The wheels on jogging strollers are something you can take off and put back on with ease. This allows you to make them more compact and is helpful in terms of storage. You need to make sure that when you put the wheels back on, they are securely put into place.
- Cup holders are completely an extra feature when you consider traditional strollers. On jogging strollers, they are a necessity. If it is not obvious enough to you yet, let us tell you why. When you are a parent out jogging with your baby, you will get tired. You might be worrying about storing liquids near the baby’s head while you’re jogging. With jogging strollers, you don’t have to worry that much. The cup holders on jogging strollers are much deeper than the ones on traditional strollers. This means they will hold the drink container steady. That being said, you still need to be very careful with any liquids you are carrying with you in a cup holder on a stroller. A safety tip for you to consider is that you should never place hot drinks in the cup holder no matter how much you feel like carrying that warm cup of joe with the baby on the stroller.
Locking Swivel or Fixed Front Wheel
Jogging strollers can come in two different styles for the front wheel. It can either be a front wheel which swivels but can be locked into place or with a fixed front wheel. We cannot stress it enough – having the front wheel locked into position is a must when you are jogging. The locked wheel will always make sure that the stroller does not take an unexpected turn when it hits a bump while you’re jogging.
While this feature is useful in providing stability over the bumps, it also makes things difficult when it comes to making sharp turns. You will not be able to avoid a lot of obstacles.
The wheels that can swivel are not a bad option to consider. If you are going to be jogging at a moderate pace while you’re out strolling with your child, having a swiveling front wheel can be convenience. It makes it easier to maneuver the stroller for the more regular activities during the day.
There are a few models in jogging strollers now which have restored our faith in the swiveling front wheel. Those parents who believe in buying strollers which strictly have a fixed front wheel should reconsider their choice. Getting a jogging stroller that has a lockable front wheel will make it convenient for them to switch between urban environments and jogging.
There are a few perks that come with fixed front wheels on jogging strollers. A lot of the fixed front wheel stroller models come with sports bike-like handbrakes. They make slowing down more convenient for the parent. It comes in handy when you’re heading down hill or if you’re facing traffic.
This is not something which stops the jogging stroller by itself. It’s definitely not an alternative to the parking brake mechanism but it helps when you need to stop quickly. Long distance runners find these especially useful. Oh, and one of the biggest advantages of fixed front wheel jogging strollers is that they are lighter in weight compared to their swiveling front wheel counterparts.
One point to note is that the fixed front wheels are larger than the swivel front wheels. That means the fixed front wheel jogging strollers are better suited for long distance runs. How much you plan to run with the jogging stroller should be an important factor when deciding between the two wheel types.
If you’re not that much of a jogger but will be going on the occasional run with the baby in tow, there are plenty of swivel-wheeled jogging strollers. They fall more within the budget-friendly category when you think about price tags for jogging strollers.
If there is one feature which can be considered more important than the fixed or swiveling front wheel, its adjustable tracking. The more high-quality products in the line of jogging strollers have excellent adjustable tracking for the front wheel. For instance, if the stroller’s wheel starts to veer in a particular direction while running on a flat surface, you can use the mechanism to adjust the front wheel. This will keep the wheel going absolutely straight in the direction that you want to go.
This can be considered as a quick way of realigning the front wheel on the stroller. This is something you need to get done on your car from time to time and it’s basically the same principle. If you get a jogging stroller that does not have adjustable tracking, you will find it veering in different directions. You will need to constantly realign it manually while you are running. This makes the experience a whole lot more annoying than it has to be. The best jogging strollers in our opinion are the ones that have adjustable tracking enabled.
There is a certain standard setting when it comes to the height of the handlebars on strollers. If you are someone who is taller or shorter than the average person, adjustable handlebars will be a revelation for you. If a mother and father both intend to use the jogging stroller, it will be a necessary feature to have. This will help you to maintain a healthy posture while you are running without causing undue stress to your back and body.
Most of the jogging strollers out there in the market are coming with adjustable handlebars. Out of all the jogging strollers we tested over the course of time, the ones with adjustable handlebars have always enjoyed a good score.
Back in the day, there were only a few jogging strollers that came with adjustable handlebars. Those that did had adjustable handlebars that were not that great. The adjustments were either not that easy to make or they were just too easy. The precision in the responsiveness of adjustable handlebars is paramount. Being able to adjust the height of the handlebars is a crucial component even while you’re normally strolling with the baby using a traditional stroller. You can only imagine how much more important the handlebars are on the jogging strollers.
The suspension of the jogging stroller gives it the ability to provide a smooth ride for the baby, even over uneven surfaces. Your car has a good suspension system to provide you with the same experience. If you have driven a car that has an inadequate suspension and one with excellent suspension, you will know the difference we are talking about.
Proper jogging strollers will come with outstanding suspension to provide babies with the smoothest ride possible over rough terrain. There are also those strollers which come with a suspension system that can be adjusted. That makes it possible for you to tweak the settings, based on the size and weight of your baby. Usually the front wheel’s suspension is the one that can be adjusted since it takes the brunt of the force when you hit a bump. There are models of jogging strollers that come with adjustable rear wheel suspension.
The kind of suspension you need on the stroller depends on where you will be running. If you are going to be running on mountain trails with plenty of obstacles, you need one with very smooth suspension. If your travels through the jogging track will be on a smoother surface with small bumps, you don’t need one with adjustable rear wheel suspension.
Do not get the kind of jogging strollers that come without adjustable suspension or no suspension at all. They are best stayed away from because they kill the purpose of providing the baby with a smooth ride. The wheels provide some comfort from the impact of bumps but that’s not enough.
There are cheap models of jogging strollers without suspension. They are made by manufacturers for parents who want to get jogging strollers but do not plan to actually run with them. Make no mistake about it; this is something you need to be careful of.
There are other features on the jogging strollers which help to reduce the impact of the bumps on the child. For instance, padded seats make it possible to cushion the impact further.
It’s not just about whether the seats are padded or not. The style of the seat itself also creates a lot of difference. All the jogging strollers which we tested claimed to have padded seating that cushions the impact of bumps but not all of them are made the same way.
Sling style seats are a particular favorite. They have the baby seated in a sling that is suspended from the rest of the frame. That offers a more comfortable experience for the baby since there is no hard surface on which the baby will be bouncing. It follows pretty much the same principle as sleeping on a hammock or on the floor. If you sleep on a hard surface, you will be more likely to feel the impact, if the surface is moving up and down. On a hammock, you can barely feel the movement. Even if you do feel the movement, it is a lot gentler.
If you want your baby to be happy and cooperative so that you can focus on getting your exercise, you want to appease the baby. A sling style seat on the jogging stroller is your key to your baby’s contentment. The suspension and tires do their magic to the best of their ability but the sling rounds off their efforts to make it smooth sailing for your baby. There are models of jogging strollers with hard plastic seats. We don’t know why some manufacturers still feel the need to make them but they do. Avoid getting those for your baby if you want both, parent and child, to enjoy your running. No amount of padded seating will help a hard plastic surface in making your baby comfortable while you run.
Other than the most basic functions and features that the jogging strollers offer, there are a host of extra features which some jogging strollers have. A lot of the models we reviewed had extra features like cup holders, pockets, snack trays, odometers and even built-in speakers. Some additional features like car seat adapters, extra pockets for parents and trays for parents are useful but there are some that can be annoying. Take for instance snack trays for babies. On a jogging stroller, that can add more unnecessary weight, it can be awkwardly positioned when you fold it and they’re practically useless for a baby while you’re running. Built-in speakers are also pretty much useless, while you’re using the stroller.
The extra features on strollers are not something to die for. Get a stroller that has some additional features which make the experience of jogging easier for you. Doing anything more than this is overkill and useless.
Should I Get Only a Jogging Stroller?
You see, the answer to this one honestly depends on your personal situation. If you’re the occasional jogger, getting a jogging stroller with a swiveling front wheel should be enough for you. It provides adequate stability for when you need to go on a run. At the same time, you can unlock the swivel to make it easier to navigate urban environments for everyday use.
You need to remember that jogging strollers are not something you can fold easily when you have the option. A lot of them don’t even offer the option to fold. They can also be quite heavy when you compare them to the more traditional styles of strollers. That means it’s not ideal for you to commute in the city.
If you plan to stroll with a baby that is younger than 6 to 8 months old, you need a stroller that has infant car seat compatibility. Jogging strollers offer a smooth ride for both the parent pushing it and the baby riding in it. If you will be moving over a variety of surfaces during your everyday use, the swivel wheel on a jogging stroller can come in quite handy. Standard strollers don’t offer the same ease of traveling over rough terrains as jogging strollers.
How To Decide Which Stroller’s The Best for You?
Now we come to the really important question on the mind of every parent. There are a lot of jogging strollers out there to choose from. There is one reality which everybody needs to accept. There is no stroller which can cater to all of your needs. Acknowledge this fact and accept it. Now, let’s move on from that.
The baby stroller that you choose should be based on your lifestyle choices and the exercise goals that you have. A lot of parents need to be honest with themselves about their intentions of exercising. If you are not serious about your running, this is the time to decide. Nobody is going to judge you on this. You’re planning to make a big investment and it is necessary to know what you want.
If you feel like you will not be running that much, it’s good to avoid getting a jogging stroller at all. That will be a very good way to save a lot of money. Jogging strollers don’t come cheap. They are definitely going to be more expensive than your above-average traditional strollers as well.
If you are serious about garnering your running prowess, the kind you had before your pregnancy and you are sure you want to continue after your baby’s birth, you should get one of these. If you’re sure you’re going to be running but rarely, you should get a cheaper model of a jogging stroller. If you’re going to be an avid runner, it makes sense that you invest in a very good quality one. It will be expensive but it will do the job right.
Final Thoughts on the Matter
Our in-depth explanation just goes to show that jogging strollers are pretty cool. There is no denying that. They are the most versatile and high-performing kind of strollers on the market. The fact that most of them come with excellent safety features, good suspension, sun shades, sling-style seats and many more features makes them real winners. We also think that if you get one of the more general purpose jogging strollers, they can be the only strollers you need.
When you go out into the market to actually buy a jogging stroller, you will find that having all of this information in your head will make things a whole lot easier for you.