- LILLEbaby SIX-Position
- OUR PARTNER
- Award-Winning Ergonomic Comfort for Parent and Child
Offers optimal support and positioning.
It features a temperature-regulation panel that easily zips-up for warmth and zips-down to reveal cool, breathable, 3D mesh.
- Carriers is a bit bulky
The leg area is not well-padded
No quick release button, but it does come off fast
- BOTTOM LINE
- SIX-Position, 360° Ergonomic Baby & Child Carrier by LILLEbaby is a truly excellent carrier, it configures into 6 different carry positions, that are highly supportive, well constructed, and very comfortable for both mom (or dad) and baby. We highly recommended.
- Ergobaby 360
- OUR PARTNER
- Velcro waistband, which provides security, comfort, and lower back support
Good weight distribution which allows comfortable long-term carrying
Padded shoulder straps
- For babies under 12 pounds you will need an additional infant insert
The carrier has just one small pocket
Waistband limitation & Noise
- BOTTOM LINE
- The Ergobaby 360 is a high-quality baby carrier that is both practical and versatile. It is one of the most comfortable baby carriers for parents and babies on the market. This baby carrier is well worth the price tag.
- Ergobaby OMNI 360
- OUR PARTNER
- Does not need an insert for small (7-12 lb) babies
Head rest for baby when sleeping
Can use while breastfeeding
- Not easy to quickly change between positions
Does not fold up easily for storage
The baby outgrows earlier than some other models
- BOTTOM LINE
- Ergobaby OMNI 360 is everything a busy parent could want. It is stylish, comfortable, and safe. Is designed to fit a seven-pound newborn safely without the extra insert. It also includes a detachable pouch that can fit all of your important on-to-go items. Definitely a great choice!
- Baby Tula Multi-Position
- OUR PARTNER
- Ergonomic, lightweight, and sturdy
Removable hood to protect baby from elements
- Need an infant insert for newborns
Only two carry options
If living in hot and humid temperature, more breathable options should be available.
- BOTTOM LINE
- Once you start using Baby Tula Multi-Position, you will never want to use any other baby carrier again. It offers an ergonomic M-positioning seat that supports optimal development of the baby - 100% cotton and handmade. One of the most popular baby carriers on the market.
- OUR PARTNER
- PROSHighest of quality and tested for safety.
100% machine washable
Recommended by pediatriciansCONSNot for use with premature babies or any infants under 8 pounds in weight.
Lack of lower back support
May be difficult to use with very heavy babies.BOTTOM LINEThe most well-known soft shaped Baby Bjorn carrier newborn babies can use, with plenty of popularity and name brand quality to back it up. This baby carrier is perfect for new parents because of its classic design and ease of use. It’s very popular around parents this year!
- Boba Wrap
- OUR PARTNER
- No buckles, straps or buttons
Comfortable for a long wear time
Machine washable 95% Cotton/5% Spandex blend
- Baby must face inward
Takes a few attempts to learn to tie
A lot of fabric to work with
- BOTTOM LINE
- The Boba Wrap promotes bonding as well as positive health and development. It also provides comfort and flexibility both the parent and the baby. This wrap carrier is very durable and comfortable. The best selling Boba Wrap Baby Carrier is a great choice!
How To Choose the Best Baby Carrier
After a lot of time testing some of the best baby carriers, we’ve learned quite a bit about their functions and which of them matter a lot to parents on the move. Baby carriers are rising in popularity nowadays. The number of products on the market to cater to baby carrying is increasing in response to that. This gives parents a lot of good options to consider when they’re out buying the baby carrier for their child. With so many choices out there now, we understand that it can get a little overwhelming.
To help you better decide on the baby carrier which will be perfect for you, we’ve put together this article. This way, you can narrow down on the number of choices you have. By the time you’re done reading this, you will have a good option to consider which will be both easy on the pocket and good for your baby.
Why Get a Baby Carrier?
For those wondering why they should even get a baby carrier in the first place, we ask why not? It is a great way to keep your baby happy. It helps you build a stronger relationship with the baby in the earlier days. Baby carriers allow you to keep your child happy and close by while leaving your hands free to take care of important tasks. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to keep your baby content while you carry on doing all the things which you need to take care of? A baby carrier does exactly that for you. That is why it is such an important piece of baby gear to have with you.
Different Kinds of Baby Carriers
Baby carriers have existed in different shapes and forms for centuries. It’s just that the technology and understanding that we have today present us with more choices than ever before. The baby carrier of the 21st century has evolved from the historic carriers. It has taken all those backpacks, wraps, slings and papooses and given them a modern twist. There are essentially five different kinds of baby carriers: soft structured carrier, frame backpacks, sling, mei-tai and wraps. Here’s a look at their descriptions:
- Soft Structured Carrier – Also known as SSCs, they come with a thick waistband and padded straps attached to the main body. They have good structural integrity and they’re quite adjustable. They distribute the baby’s weight evenly on your hips and shoulders to relieve the stress.
- Frame Backpack – Baby backpack carriers are for wearing an older baby on your back or a toddler. With this baby gear on, you can carry them around for a long period of time. This isn’t suitable for very young babies so you should use them for kids a year old or older.
- Sling – Slings are a single piece of cloth. It goes over one of your shoulders to create a pouch so that you can hold the baby on your hip or in front of you. You can easily adjust the sling by adjusting the loose end through the rings close to your shoulder.
- Wrap – This is a long fabric which wraps around yourself and the baby. You tie the loose ends to create a secure and comfortable resting place for the child. They’re very easy to clean and they’re comfortable for both parent and child. It’s just a little harder to use in comparison to the other styles. It can also get too warm to wear from time to time.
- Mei-tai – This is somewhat of a cross between SSCs and a wrap. A mei-tai has four straps connected to the main body of the carrier.
Carrying the Baby Securely
When you’re carrying the baby, it’s very important to use all the safety measures possible. This applies to your child at any age when you’re carrying the baby with you. Of course, small infants are particularly vulnerable. You need to make sure their airways aren’t compromised in any way. You also need to provide them the best possible support for their necks. There actually is a guideline which can come in handy for people carrying their babies called T.I.C.K.S.
Here’s how the acronym works:
- In view all the time
- Close enough to kiss
- Keep chin off the chest
- Supported back
It sounds cheesy, we know but they really do serve as an excellent guideline for you to follow. Wearing your baby can be a lot of fun for both you and the child but you need to be as cautious as you can be.
It is not just that there are several different kinds of baby carriers out there. A few of them offer you the option of carrying the baby in different holds and positions. When you are selecting a baby carrier, the versatility it allows is an important factor to consider. The reason for that has to do with the fact that you will need to change the positions as the baby grows. The kind of position most comfortable will change with the growing baby. The riding on the front position is the most common way with the baby facing either the front or towards the parent. The second most favored position is when you carry the baby on your back. Riding the baby on the side is an option a lot of people use too but it’s very limiting for the parent. Depending on the carrier, it can restrict the use of one of your hands.
The carriers we checked out and tested for you offer carrying positions ranging from one to five. There are those baby carriers which offer only one position in which you can carry a baby while another offers you five different options.
Getting the Best Baby Carrier for Yourself
After evaluating several baby carriers, we have seen that the market offers a lot of options for the parents to consider. A lot of the products are compelling. They have innovative designs and the choices you get in fabric are good too. The thing is that too many options can confuse the parent. It gets difficult to decide which one to go for and why it will be the best option.
Through our extensive testing, we determined comfort and ease of use to be the most important factors. If a carrier isn’t comfortable for you, it can get too tiring. If it isn’t comfortable for the baby, it defeats the purpose altogether. The second factor is important because the last thing a parent needs is to fight with a baby carrier to make sure they use it right. A simple baby carrier which is easy to use and comfortable is the best option for any parent.
How Long Will You Use It?
You see, for a lot of parents the best thing about baby carriers is that it allows them to carry on with their day unhindered. They can comfortably hold the baby close while doing all the things they need to do. A carrier which works well for the first few months when the baby is born might not be so good later on. Once a child reaches the year old mark, you might find the baby carrier irksome. If you just plan to use your baby carrier until the child is of a certain age, you should get a baby carrier that will serve you for that period of time only.
A simple baby carrier that is well within your budget can do that just fine.
Determining exactly how long you will be carrying the baby can save you a lot of money and frustration down the road. If you’re getting a baby carrier which you’ll need to use for the long haul, your investment should reflect that.
A lot of parents only use the baby carrier until the age where the baby can sit up on his/her own. A simple wrap will do just fine for that. You cannot use a simple wrap once the baby is a year old and 30 pounds.
See, the thing is that when your baby is an infant, they weight very little. During the first few months, the front carry position is just too good. You have the baby facing towards you and there is good enough back support.
Once the baby starts getting older, the same design of a baby carrier is going to become problematic for you. You won’t be able to carry the baby in the same style and you will be annoying both the baby and yourself.
You need to get something that will allow you to carry the baby on your back or on the side depending on how much you want one of your hands to be free.
Wearing your baby on the back is a very good way to use a baby carrier for the long run.
Is it Comfortable?
Baby carriers came into mass adoption because it makes life easier. That goes for both your child and yourself. If your baby carrier is not comfortable for you and it isn’t comfortable for the baby, it’s useless. Carriers which will hold the baby close to you and high enough for you to kiss the baby are the best. They make the baby happy and keep the baby safe and secure. If you have SSCs, they do a wonderful job at this.
Wrap style carriers also keep the baby in a close position and a comfortable one. At the same time, the fabric of the wraps allow them to move a little freely while you carry them so they can change their position.
You have to remember the fact that the most comfortable way to carry the baby changes as the child keeps growing older. New born babies and infants are easy to carry amd a lot of parents can carry them for a long time. When your child starts to grow, you will start to see the perks of having padded shoulder straps and waist straps. Slings allow you to make quick changes for both comfort and to ease things while you work. Get an SSC which allows easy adjustments and good support to the shoulders and waist.
The Effort It Takes
With so many different kinds of carriers, some of them are designed in a way that they are too complicated to use. If you use one type of carrier for a while, you get used to it. Making the shift to another type will make things difficult for you. you will have to learn how to get used to the carrier all over again.
The SSCs are comfortable but they come with a lot of buckles and straps which can get annoying. You see, the most comfortable baby carrier also depends on how much time and effort you’re willing to put into adjusting the straps.
The final verdict on the matter is that with so many choices, it is all a matter of narrowing the number of choices. With this article, we have given you a lot of information about the perks and the problems with the different baby carriers in the market. Depending on your preferences and our information, you should be able to make a better choice now.
The easiest way to get started is by getting the simple wrap and moving on from that. Who knows? That just might be the one for you.